Reporting to the Vice Chancellor for Educational Services and Institutional Integrity, the Director of Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) will design and implement a framework for risk management and compliance at Pima Community College (PCC). In addition to providing oversight of risk management and compliance programs, the Director will work with the Executive Leadership Team, the Governing Board, and the Finance and Audit Committee to establish PCC's tolerance for risk in a variety of areas, including investments, student activities, and academic programming.
Like many departments at PCC, this role operates under a Matrix structure. Experience navigating multiple management styles and rapport building to ensure collaboration and positive communication across all divisions at the college is essential. The Director will see themselves as a strategic partner for departments across all of PCC, to come alongside and support through any audit findings.
The Director will provide effective leadership and administration for day-to-day operations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborates with the Chancellor, Executive Leadership Team, Governing Board, Finance and Audit Committee, and constituents at all levels of the institution to determine the tolerance for risk
- Performs a risk assessment and determines alignment with the goals of the College
- Works closely with the Internal Auditor
- Promotes an environment of continuous improvement of Enterprise Risk Management processes and analysis of best practices.
- Generates metrics and utilizes data to support informed decisions and policies
- Oversees the investigation and management of claims against the College to include a comprehensive background in risk management
- Contributes to business continuity planning
- Chair or co-chair the Risk and Compliance Committee
- Project management
- Utilization of specific Risk Management software programs in performance of duties
- Performs related duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, or a closely related field from a regionally accredited college or university AND
- Four (4) years of progressively responsible risk management experience in a complex environment with a demonstrated understanding of higher education
Candidates who possess similar minimum objective qualifications are encouraged to apply and should describe in detail the work experience and education regarded as establishing the equivalency and will need to indicate interest in pursuing a Master's degree from a regionally accredited college or university within an agreed upon timeframe with the College
Ideal candidates will have the following knowledge, skills, experience, and abilities:
Strong Preference will be given to candidates with ten years of progressive human resources management and leadership experience in a complex environment with a demonstrated understanding of higher education.
To be successful in this role, the Director will be an experienced leader with a clear, focused commitment to future trends in assessment of risk to align with the strategic priorities of the College.
- Models a strategic, collaborative, consultative, and team-oriented leadership style to energize and empower others is a must
- Able to collaborate and work effectively with leadership, governance, staff, and faculty groups across a wide range of academic and business operations
- Possesses excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills together with excellent listening skills; the ability to seek out, understand, and enable diverse viewpoints and approaches to achieve College goals; respectful of diverse views and opinions
- Knowledge of insurance programs, including investigation, record keeping, actuarial concepts, indemnification, underwriting, and valuation
- Strong leadership skills with demonstrated competencies in complex-decision making; successfully developing and implementing short and long-term objectives; aligning resources with strategy; delegating effectively; managing effective work processes; and professionally developing staff
- Models ethical behavior by consistently conforming to the highest ethical standards and practices
- Demonstrates success in managing organizational change with a proven track record of producing strategic results
- Demonstrates competence in interpreting and complying with federal, state, and local law
- Demonstrates experience in planning and managing budgets
- Exhibits confidence, motivation, self-direction, and resilience and possesses the ability to work under pressure to successfully manage numerous projects, deadlines, and priorities