The Ted and Karyn Hume Center for National Security and Technology at Virginia Tech is a university-level research center that reports to the Vice President of Research and Innovation. Our research sponsors and collaborators benefit from both highly experienced student talent and senior technical leadership that address some of our nation's greatest security challenges. The Hume team executes research on behalf of a range of national security research sponsors, including U.S. Government agencies and industry.
This is an applied research and development faculty position that may be based in Blacksburg or Arlington, Virginia and is part of the Hume Center's Intelligent Systems Lab (ISL). ISL brings together researchers from computer science, statistics, machine learning, systems engineering, electrical engineering, and other fields to develop interdisciplinary solutions to cutting-edge technological challenges of national importance. Successful candidates for this position will have relevant experience or education in one or more of the following areas: computer science, data science, machine learning, artificial intelligence, mathematics, physics, statistics, or engineering.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
(1) Support research conducted in ISL in projects focused on data science, machine learning, artificial intelligence, and statistical evaluation
(2) Contribute to technical documents/presentations and peer-reviewed academic papers
(3) Provide mentorship to students working on programs
- U.S. citizenship
- Experience applying data science, machine learning, or artificial intelligence methods in domain relevant programming libraries on real or synthetic data.
- Experience in a modern programming language
- For Research Associate: An earned Master's degree in a related discipline; or an earned Bachelor's degree in a related discipline and significant related experience
- For Senior Research Associate: an earned Doctorate in a related discipline; or an earned Master's degree in a related discipline and significant related experience
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team in executing research and/or development projects
- Evidence of high potential for excellence in research and development as demonstrated through academic study or experience.
- Interest in any of the following domains: social network analysis, natural language processing (NLP), computer vision, generative modeling, knowledge graphs and graph theory, graph neural networks, representation learning, reinforcement learning, probabilistic graphical modeling, unsupervised or semi-supervised learning, or AI assurance.
- Experience working across the full life cycle of a data science, machine learning, or artificial intelligence project, including engaging stakeholders and collecting requirements; identifying, collecting and preprocessing data; algorithm selection and implementation; measuring performance and improving based on evidence or theory; and communicating results
- Experience with Python and industry-standard software development practices, including repository version management (e.g. Git), containerization methods (e.g. Docker), and experience in remote development on Nvidia GPU-based servers
- An active U.S. security clearance or eligibility to receive a Secret or Top Secret security clearance
- Interest and/or experience in working effectively with a diverse faculty, staff and student population.
Commensurate with experience and education
June 21, 2021
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Sue Kass at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.