Posting Number: req5750
Department: Medicine Administration
Location: UAHS - Tucson
Address: 1501 N. Campbell Avenue, Tucson, AZ 85724 USA
Position HighlightsThe position is responsible for operational management of the research and graduate student mission in the College of Medicine -Tucson (COM-T) interfacing, when appropriate, with other units and missions. The incumbent provides senior-level counsel and operational support with the purpose of ensuring that research administration, operational and strategic planning services are provided in the most efficient and effective manner and with the highest integrity. The position assists in the implementation of strategic planning efforts for the research and graduate student mission including the collection, monitoring and reporting on productivity measures (e.g. productivity of COM-T cores and research centers, space utilization and link to research productivity metrics). The incumbent will interface with graduate students to develop programs that bring a sense of a graduate student community within COM-T. The position has responsibility for ensuring that research operational policies and procedures are adhered to by COM-T departments and centers.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Management of Research Operations within COM-T: Manage the operational activities of the research mission within the COM-T; ensure that operational research and related academic questions are answered and that research policies and procedures are being followed; review and provide recommendations on applications for COM-T Research support; facilitate recruitment at the Dean's Office level and inter-departmental research agreements; apprise the Vice Dean for Research and Graduate Studies and/or his/her designee of project statuses, conflicts, and potential issues.
- Management and implementation of Research Strategy within COM-T: Provide strategic support to the Vice Dean for Research and Graduate Studies and/or his/her designee on ongoing projects and initiatives that strengthen the research and graduate student mission. Work with research faculty and departmental leadership to assess research needs and planning to allow for prioritization; provide oversight and management of existing and new programmatic activities; includes assessment of national grant payline opportunities that align across Department expertise, strategically support process/procedure development for research initiatives across COM-T; contribute to institution-wide strategic planning.
- Management and implementation of Graduate Student programs and operations within COM-T: Coordinate event programs for graduate students to provide a robust environment of graduate student community within COM-T. Work with graduate group leaders on innovative approaches and implementation of graduate programs and curriculum; identify, collect and analyze graduate student metrics and provide reports to the Vice Dean for Research and Graduate Studies and/or his/her designee and Graduate College when requested. Provide guidance and recommendations on implementation of university policy covering graduate students, graduate groups and training programs (e.g. T32).
- Recruitment Management: Work with departmental and Dean's Office leadership in the development and maintenance of research faculty recruitment and (pre-)retention plans; participate in outlining recruitment and (pre-)retention packages. Provide recommendation on approval of research faculty offer letters based upon available research-specific data.
- Space and Facilities Management: Lead strategic planning for space management in the COM-T and as an advisor for the COM-T space committee. Provide operational support for the Vice Dean for Research and Graduate Studies and/or his/her designee in his/her role on the Space Committee; oversee the completion of an annual COM-T space survey, daily management of space, construction and equipment issues, and the creation and implementation of space strategic plans to ensure efficient and effective space utilization.
- Budget Management: Working with the Deputy Dean for Finance and/or his/her designee, advise the Vice Dean for Research and Graduate Studies and/or his/her designee regarding ongoing research budget issues both in departments and in the Research Section of the Dean's Office program budgets; develop budgets and financial models for existing and proposed programs/recruitments; contribute to annual research and graduate student budgeting guidelines with respect to research and graduate student funds flows; participate in the COM-T Research and Graduate Student budget allocation approval process; monitors expenditures against research and graduate student unit budget; prepares necessary documentation for supervisor review/approval; tabulates budgetary data, calculates figures, and checks for accuracy; review and provide recommendations on departmental capital renovation projects; alert leadership to policy issues resulting from financial decision making.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through professional level experience required.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience required.
Master's degree in the field of biological sciences or nursing.
Doctoral degree in the field of biological sciences or nursing.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Research
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: DOE
Compensation Type: salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)
Career Stream and Level
Research Program Admin
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Jerie Schulz | email@example.com
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.