Job ID: 228654
Location: Kennesaw, Georgia
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
A leader in innovative teaching and learning, Kennesaw State University is one of the 50 largest public institutions in the country. KSU offers more than 150 undergraduate, graduate and doctoral degrees to its more than 41,000 students. With 11 colleges on two metro Atlanta campuses, Kennesaw State is a member of the University System of Georgia and the second-largest university in the state. The university's vibrant campus culture, diverse population, strong global ties, entrepreneurial spirit, and Division I athletics draw students from throughout the region and from 92 countries across the globe. Ranked a top choice for students by U.S. News, Kennesaw State is a Carnegie-designated doctoral research institution (R2), placing it among an elite group of only 6 percent of U.S. colleges and universities with an R1 or R2 status.
Our Kennesaw campus is located at 1000 Chastain Road NW, Kennesaw, GA 30144. Our Marietta campus is located at 1100 South Marietta Parkway, Marietta, GA 30060.
Provides strategic council and works collaboratively with deans and department heads on media and public relations activities that enhance the reputation of colleges and/or departments. Works collaboratively with university marketing on providing earned media support for campaigns. Responsible for writing for a variety of media, both print and electronic, including feature stories for the Kennesaw State University Magazine, press releases, stories for the web, and other projects as assigned. Works to pitch stories to the media and respond to requests for media experts.
- Develops written content, primarily feature stories, news releases and media advisories, but may also include blog posts, social media content, marketing copy, talking points and other forms of communication to help promote the university
- Proactively identifies and develops story ideas (student, faculty and alumni successes, college/university initiatives, research, etc.) by building relationships with colleagues from the various academic and administrative units
- Leads media relations efforts for colleges and departments
- Provides strategic public relations counsel and serves as liaison between colleges and central communications office
- Assists in the development and enhancement of the annual communications strategic plan
- Develops and maintains relationships with reporters, producers and other stakeholders
- Works collaboratively with University partners
Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education in a related field
Four (4) years of experience in Journalism, Public Relations or related field
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Strong writing ability
- Working knowledge of Associate Press Style
- Knowledge of journalism principles and techniques
- Ability to work independently, make decisions and multi-task to balance multiple priorities
- Ability to build relationships, work collaboratively and exhibit professional demeanor
- Able to handle multiple tasks or projects at one time meeting assigned deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal, initiative, teamwork, problem solving, independent judgment, organization, communication (verbal and written), time management, project management and presentation skills
- Proficient with computer applications and programs associated with the position (i.e. Microsoft Office suite, cloud-based applications)
- Strong attention to detail and follow up skills
- Strong customer service skills and phone and e-mail etiquette
Kennesaw State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. It is the policy of Kennesaw State University to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to age, color, disability, ethnicity, gender, national, origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or status as a protected Veteran. Kennesaw State University is a participant in the Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify) effective October 15, 2007. Participant ID: 61415
This is not a supervisory position.
This position does not have any financial responsibilities.
No, this position will not be required to drive.
This role is not considered a position of trust.
This position does not require a purchasing card (P-Card).
This position may travel 1% - 24% of the time
This position does not require security clearance.
Please upload professional, published writing samples portfolio in the required attachments section.
Standard Enhanced + Education
Per the University System of Georgia background check policy, all final candidates will be required to consent to a criminal background investigation. Final candidates may be asked to disclose criminal record history during the initial screening process and prior to a conditional offer of employment. Applicants for positions of trust with screening results which confirm a disqualifying criminal history will be immediately disqualified from employment eligibility.
All applicants are required to include professional references as part of their application process. Some positions may require additional job-based screenings such as motor vehicle report, credit check, pre-employment drug screening and/or verification of academic credentials.
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=43000&JobOpeningId=228654&PostingSeq=1