Posting Number: req5720
Department: Student Food Service
Location: Main Campus
Address: Tucson, AZ USA
The AZ Student Unions is looking for talented entree cooks to work in our dining services areas located throughout the campus.
Retail Dining Services is looking to fill fiscal (12 month) positions.
As an Entree Cook you will be expected to create great tasting food with food safety in focus. You will be preparing food in many different forms using a very unique combination of equipment. In this position you may be required to work early mornings and/or late evening hours including weekends.
The Student Union Memorial Center is one of the largest student unions in the United States. At a size of 405,000 square feet, SUMC contains everything students need.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Cooks meat entrees, vegetables, and desserts in adherence to standardized recipes
- Prepares all order items to the order slip and adhering to the recipe's method of preparation
- Washes, cuts, and prepares foods designated for cooking
- Has products ready at times set for restaurants and catering and keeps informed of daily menu changes
- Verifies that food cooked is satisfactory in both quality and quantity prepared
- Ensures leftovers are properly stored and kitchen is ready for preparation of next meal
- Maintains general cleaning in work area
- Actively solves problems whenever possible
- Additional duties as assigned by supervisor
- Prevents cross contamination of food products
- Weighs, labels and dates all food items; stores in designated areas
- Utilizes hair coverings and gloves at all times while working in kitchen
- Ensures counters, work stations, plexiglass windows, walls, shelves, drain screens, and floor mats are properly cleaned
- Cleans cooking utensils, grills, oven hoods, and other equipment used in food preparation; ensure all utensils are properly stored
- Greets and serves customers in a friendly and courteous manner
- Works harmoniously with co-workers, supervisors and management
- Provides suggestions and input to supervisors
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of food service operations including large quantity food preparation
- Skill in operating various institutional/commercial kitchen equipment
- Ability to effectively communicate
- Frequently reaches, lifts, shakes, stirs, pours, carries, and pushes
- Often withstand large workload under high heat
High school diploma or equivalent, or equivalent learning attained through experience required.
Must be able to transport/move a minimum of 50 pounds
* Two years commercial or institutional cooking experience
* ServSafe or other food safety certification
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: University Operations
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: $12.15-$13.25
Compensation Type: hourly rate
Career Stream and Level
Culinary & Food Services
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 12
Contact Information for Candidates
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.